Sunday, 11 August 2013

Documentary planning

So with our final year of university looming (how?!) we've been given the summer to think about our final projects. Everyone on the course are expected to make two individual films; their minor (three minutes) and their major (10-15, depending on the genre) on top of their dissertation. 

Although my group's documentary turned to shit last year, I'm keen to try another with a group I crew myself, as opposed to being allocated people to work with. While I was still at school, I fell into a bad crowd; the Doctor Who toy collectors. I'd spent pretty much my entire night on the message boards talking to adults across the UK about the range, which shops to target...y'know, the usual(!) Anyway the thought of adults collecting action figures from what is, essentially, a children's market is interesting to say the least, and so I thought a short documentary about adult toy collectors would be a fascinating insight for others. The working title is 'Mint On Card' which is a collector's term for when an action figure is untouched, in its original packaging (a.k.a. mint condition). Here's a film poster I mocked up, basing the design on a combination of vintage Doctor Who/Indiana Jones and Star Wars film posters.

I sold my collection in waves on eBay long ago, but here's a taster of what my old bedroom looked like. (not pictured: a bedroom door painted like the TARDIS) Oy vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment