Saturday, 16 August 2014

MØ MY GOD, have you heard No Mythologies To Follow? It's the debut album by Danish singer/songwriter MØ and it's really really great. Yasmin introduced me to her at the end of last year, after playing the video to XXX 88 during pre-drinks. Something about the cinematography of the video along with the electro-pop beat stuck in my mind, and the next day I listened to everything she had put up on YouTube.



I see similarities between her and Grimes in the electro/vocal elements of their tracks as well as their physical appearance, but something about MØ just feels more accessible; her songs appear more commercially successful, they're the type you could hear playing on a night out and sing along to with ease.

I was lucky enough to see her perform (for free!) at the Kopparberg Music Festival, a month-long event held in a corner of Dalston. I went along with Yasmin and we divulged in traditional Scandinavian food (Elk meatballs and mash, anyone?) as well as an obligatory Kopparberg or two before watching MØ take the stage. From the first track it was clear we were in for a treat, as her energy and stage presence brought the crowd to life! I loved the fact MØ was not impartial to audience interaction, as crowd surfs and jumping alongside everyone else occurred every few songs!


Amazing cover of the Spice Girl's 'Say You'll Be There'

If you're yet to listen to her stuff, I wholeheartedly recommend Walk This Way, Don't Wanna Dance and Maiden.

No comments:

Post a Comment